Old 03-23-23, 09:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3641 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If I think of road bikes before the time of brifters for example, they really weren't that compatible for your average joe.
Sure they were.
Horrible bar ergonimics wih thin tubed drop bars with massive reach and drop numbers, thin bar tape, weak brakes you could only properly use from the drops, atrocious brake hoods (did anyone even use the hoods position?).
Reach and drop were easily adjustable using different, appropriately sized parts. I always used padded tape--still do. I can easily operate my brakes from my (very comfortable) hoods with one finger.
There weren't cut out saddles or really that many different saddle shapes so numbness was just something you had to deal with or stop riding.
Where are you getting all this silly information? Half the people on this Forum still ride Brooks saddles.
Frame sizing was pretty uniform but if you didn't fit that uniformity, well SOL...
There were a hell of a lot more sizing choices than "S/M/L."
Corncob cassettes with 53-39 cranksets must have been a blast beginners.
No one forced you to get a "corn cob" cassette. And when 53-39 came around, that was pretty nice!
Shifting while releasing a hand from the bars is always fun and safe in all situations.
It's no big deal...really.

Last edited by smd4; 03-23-23 at 10:23 AM.