View Single Post
Old 03-27-23, 08:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7044 Post(s)
Liked 11,090 Times in 4,737 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
To the comment above about me attempting to push this to P&R, sorry but the premise of the thread (or at least the quoted article) is inherently political. This whole "sustainability" buzzword is by its very nature a political stunt.

For the life of me, I cannot understand people's desire, nay, need to feel guilt over something about which they either have no control over or responsibility for.
Actually, I do. I think all it is is people who have a desperate need to feel like they matter. "I'm doing something to 'save the planet', so I matter". Doesn't hurt that nobody can ever disprove the contribution. Weather is different, hey you had an impact. Weather is the same, those darn soccer moms and their Explorers! And then there are the people who really believe themselves to be brilliant because they parrot what people who are supposed to be brilliant tell them. Sorry folks. Data can be and has been corrupted (East Anglia anyone?). Not only that, but all these measurements we're using as comparison. Are we seriously going to use data collected today and compare that to the eyeball reading old Jedediah wrote down from his mercury thermometer back in 1882 and pretend they're even remotely comparable? Come on, people! There is a serious lack of critical thinking here.

So, sorry folks. All the crap you want to do isn't going to amount to crap in the long run. This whole up-ending the world as we know it reminds me so much of the paper/plastic argument back in the 80s. "We have to save the forests!!! Use plastic bags." 30 years later, uh oh. Plastic bags are bad, mkay? SSDD. But I guess some people just have to feel like their life has meaning. I get that. Just don't drag me into your psychosis.
I know, right? Climate change also has absolutely nothing to do with the giant nuclear reactor in the sky either. Amiright?

Ans as they were during the Roman occupation of Britannia.

Sorry, but that's utter BS. More like 99.9% of the people pushing that narrative simply disregard anyone who disagrees with them. Hence my comment earlier about an echo chamber. Take this very thread as an example. Echo chamber. Folks, that's not science. That's just dogma.

You are really pushing the bounds of credibility bringing up the Falsi argument. That little ****ing troll should be in jail.

Right. I recall as a teenager seeing a comercial with Ted Danson (of Cheers fame) warning that Miami would be underwater by the year 2000. We're 23 years past that now and last I checked, Miami is still there.

Yes, I'm sure you know more than all of those pointy-headed scientists with their PhDs and peer-reviewed research.