Old 03-28-23, 01:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
It is a common, everyday double road crankset by Sugino. I just swapped the big chainwheel which I wanted to use, to the inside position so it would line up with the rear sprocket. The displaced small chainwheel, usually on the inside, was moved to the outside because the bolts holding them to the cranks are a certain length and I did not think they would work with the thickness of one chainwheel missing. I don't know why juggling chainwheel positions to help chain alignment is a radical idea, I doubt I am the first one to do it. But I am over 60 years old so may have seen a lot more things younger people have not is al I can figure.
Now that you have explained it, it makes sense why. I might go about it a different way, but what you did solves the problem. As I said before, I've never seen that particular configuration before. I've only been wrenching on my own bikes for 40+ years, so yeah, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-28-23 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For Eric F: