cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Hey Mike, this is a great site with individuals sharing information instead of useless and inane arguments with those who don't know better. It's still excellent if you use the ignore function as needed.
When you make a claim with solid evidence, data & sources that support your claim,
yeah then you don't have to worry about people asking you questions to poke holes in your claim.

You claim that you know better,
but you can't offer the solid evidence of different mid drive vs hub motor ebikes that you have ridden,
what kind of riding you have done with each different type of ebikes,
actual data of your testing to provide decent comparison,
then your opinion is just invalid.

I currently have a ebike with Bafang Ultra mid-drive motor, a 350w mid-drive e-road bike and another half a dozen misc of hub motor ebikes in my stable.
I ride each ebike frequently and for majority of my cycling, I find that hub motor ebikes that cost hundreds, if not thousands less than mid-drive ebikes are just as capable in all types of terrain for majority of riders.
I ride my own pace, I'm not racing anyone on the trails, I'm don't participate in any ebike racing, no need to have 1000w power output from a mid-drive motor to stress the chain & drivetrain.
Isn't that what majority of riders do on their ebikes?

Here in NYC metro, where ebike delivery folks are in the thousands, mojority of their ebikes are cheap hub-motor ebikes that cost less than $1500.
They operate 24/7, in all weather, their income depend on their ebike being reliable, dependable to make their living.
Their ebikes or drivetrain in general get minimal maintenance, throttle operation is most if not all of the time and they log upwards of 60-70 miles per day, if not more.
If these ebike delivery folks have to spend money on regular chain/cassette/chainring for the amount of usage their ebikes get used, that would cut into their profits from their work.
If mid-drive ebikes are truly superior over hub-motor ebikes, why are the majority of ebike delivery folks not using them?

Ignore me all you want; seems to me ignoring is just what you do when you get caught making invalid claims that you can't provide supporting evidence.