View Single Post
Old 03-29-23, 02:46 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Following up on the details of my post about the Sharpie paint pens. First, I confirmed that the pen I used is "fine point" -- "extra fine" and "medium" are also available. I can only imagine how thick the "medium" is. Second, the pen says the paint is oil based. I know enough about paint to know that's important, but not enough to know if it's good or bad.

Looking at the results in my pictures, it strikes me that what Jeff Bock did is kind of analogous to anti-aliasing in a digital image. The lug lining isn't trying to call attention to itself but rather enhancing the contrast of the edge it's on, at least around the chrome. It's a bit more prominent on the lug lines that are orange on both sides.

I'd guess there are a range of opinions on how the lug lining should look, especially in terms of thickness. I like the subtle effect around the chrome lugs. I've got a Maschiagi-built Coppi that instead of lug lining has a bit of green fade around the chrome lugs. I'm not sure I like that, but I have been trying to figure out how to get chrome lugs to "pop" more with various paint colors, so I think I understand why they did it.