View Single Post
Old 04-03-23, 06:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7711 Post(s)
Liked 3,641 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote;22848402

Example: I was in SC in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo came ashore and wiped out electrical infrastructure, water supplies, etc. Literally overnight, the demand for generators and jugs of water shot up, as did their prices: there were reports of little generators selling for $2500 and one-gallon jugs of water selling for $10 -- over 10x their pre-hurricane levels. And that's a [i
good[/i] thing, as the high prices ensure that those items are obtained by people who can put them to their most valuable uses -- e.g., a restaurant would buy a $2500 generator to save $5000 worth of meat in its freezer, and a family might pay $10 for a gallon of water to mix baby formula. If the prices were capped at pre-hurricane levels, I would've bought a generator to keep my beer cold and bottled water so that I could wash my hair every day...And those other users, who (I think we can agree) would put those items to better use, .
Crap

Sure restaurants were buying those generators. Crap. The people buying those generators were rich people who wanted air conditioning.

As for formula. What, poor people don’t have babies? Or it is okay if they die?

Again , who bought the stuff were the people with credit cards with high limits Absolutely nothing to do with who needed what.

You are not the only person who has lived through that…… nor are you the only person I have heard claim that people who have more money are more deserving.