LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12894 Post(s)
Liked 7,815 Times in 4,149 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Still weird the 44 feels bigger but I measured from the top outside to outside.

Oh another question.

So I had a 9 spd cassette on the super teams. I had a spacer behind the cassette. I pulled the 10 spd cassette off the bontrager wheels to put on the super team wheels. I noticed it had a spacer but it was smaller than the spacer behind the 9 spd cassette. This made sense in my mind, the 10 speed is larger so smaller spacer.

Well when I mounted the wheel, it shifted like garbage, while before it was on the bontrager wheels it shifted fine. So I pulled the cassette off and put the 9 spd spacer behind the 10 spd cassette and mounted the wheel. Now it shifted better but not perfect. I adjusted the rear derailer and now it shifts almost perfectly, one cog acts weird 30 percent of the time.

Thoughts on the spacer delima?
Too much spacer and you can't get the lock ring started or maybe just have half a thread trying to survive 40 Nm. Too little spacer and your cogs will be loose and shift like poo, maybe even jangle a little.

If those problems aren't evident, theoretically you should be able to adjust the RD to shift reasonably well with either spacing, especially if in big ring up front. But you'd need to adjust both limit screws and usually the cable tension also everytime you switch spacers, or other wheel with slightly different spacing.