Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
I will be riding the Icefields Highway (Jasper to Banff) as part of my tour this summer. Since I am starting in Alaska, I won't know the exact arrival dates in Jasper until a few days or so out but anticipate arriving in Jasper around Thursday, August 3rd +/- a day or two.

I have not been to this area since 2001 and have heard it is really hard to get a campground in an RV/Car without a reservation. But how about bikes? I called them and they of course said to get a reservation and they do not have a "no turn away policy" or hike/biker sites.

For those that have ridden the Icefields Highway in the past few years, did you have reservations every night, just showed up and all OK, or what??
I'm a bit confused, but if I recall south of Jasper is Whistler Campground, one of the largest in North America; and they have a pretty big Hiker/Biker area. I used to start the Sierra/Cascade bicycle trail at the Mexican border on April 1st, and generally finished with a final dash to Jasper by the middle of September. And there have been times when I was in Jasper closer to midsummer as well. I've never had trouble finding a spot, let alone turned away.

Like many people I also do roadside camping if I am not likely to reach a true destination, and while it is frowned upon there is plenty of the former in the areas 10-15 miles south of Jasper, so you can wake up and ride in just in time for breakfast. If you like to climb there is a hostel at Mt. Edith Cavell as well. Just remember it is bear country.