Old 04-04-23, 02:13 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I'm a bit confused, but if I recall south of Jasper is Whistler Campground, one of the largest in North America; and they have a pretty big Hiker/Biker area. I used to start the Sierra/Cascade bicycle trail at the Mexican border on April 1st, and generally finished with a final dash to Jasper by the middle of September. And there have been times when I was in Jasper closer to midsummer as well. I've never had trouble finding a spot, let alone turned away.

Like many people I also do roadside camping if I am not likely to reach a true destination, and while it is frowned upon there is plenty of the former in the areas 10-15 miles south of Jasper, so you can wake up and ride in just in time for breakfast. If you like to climb there is a hostel at Mt. Edith Cavell as well. Just remember it is bear country.
Thanks for the reply! I don't know what to say but I called the Jasper office directly and they said only Jonas and Honeymoon have designated Hiker/Biker sites. The other CGs may have first-come, first-serve walk-in sites but they recommended arriving by 11am in order to have a good chance at the Walk-In sites. The Ranger did say that post-Covid, the CGs are swamped and strongly encouraged reservations. Thus this post. Overall, I feel I will "probably" be able to get a site but wanted to get some post-covid real world feedback by fellow cyclists. Thanks again!