Old 04-04-23, 03:18 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It occurs to me that I'm settling into the role of retro-grouch here. I guess I'm looking at top quality bikes from the 70's and 80's and saying that the tubes they used were good enough, so why do we need new tubing?

But reflecting on it today I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the improved tubing of the late 80's and beyond, even if it's not my thing. As someone who is constantly putting indexed shifters on bikes from an earlier period, it's kind of ironic that I'm taking the skeptical position on the tubing. To each his own, I suppose.

For the sake of continuing the conversation, I'll tell you what's in my garage currently. I've got five bikes with Columbus SL, four with full double-butted Reynolds 531, two with Reynolds 531 main triangle, one with Reynolds 853, one with Specialized "Special Series Touring" (a mix of Tange 1 and Tange 2), one with Specialized's "Special Series Racing" (on a 3Rensho-built Allez, so I think maybe Ishiwata), one Columbus SLX/SPX mix (the Bianchi reviewed here), one Columbus SLX, one Columbus Thron, one Columbus Genius, one 3/2.5 titanium, and three aluminum (two 6061 and whatever Cannondale used in the late 80's. There is a lot of correlation between the age of these bikes and the tubing they used. All of the ones from the 70's have either Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL. The ones with Reynolds 853, Columbus Thron, Columbus Genius and Titanium are from the late 90's or early 2000's. The ones with 6061 aluminum are mid 2010's. Everything else is from the 80's. I'm not sure there's much correlation between tubing and which ones I enjoy riding the most.

Among these, the one with the most comfortable ride and yet still sporty is the Special Series Touring tubes (1983 Specialized Sequoia). I'm happy with them all, though the SLX (1987 Pinarello Montello) is probably my least favorite. The Columbus Genius and the Reynolds 853 are probably the ones that are most up to your standards in terms of technology. They're both great, but as a heavy rider (~250 pounds) I'm a little nervous about the Genius and the skinny 22-year old carbon fork paired with the 853 (LeMond) seems like a time bomb waiting to got off. They're both very light though.
I think we have our prefrences, I have one reynolds 708 classic and one reynolds 753 as road bikes , 6 road bike projects, two deda 18MCDV6 frames,one overmax,one genius, one reynolds 731 os race and a custom aluminium made by Daccordi. For mountain bikes,1 Deda 18MCDV6HT bike,1 Reynolds 631 bike, 1 Aluminium and 4130 bonded bike, next MTB Jamis Dragon Reynolds 853 as project. I have seen once a genius broken in a MTB race as for road bikes never seen one breaking, a good quality carbon fork won't break, I have on old time carbon fork which is almost two decades old and which is rock solid.