Old 04-04-23, 08:14 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 3,782 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Possible. Apparently some Huffy-built bikes from the 1960s used a 7/8" seat post.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134154433274

However, I've read elsewhere that some Huffy BMX models used a 1"/25.4mm seat post.

Could be either, or something else entirely. Dunno.

Hopefully @AdventureManCO will have time this week to take a measurement of the existing one and post it on this thread.
Originally Posted by dddd
Doesn't the Huffy have 1" OD tubing including the seat tube?

That would make the seatpost size likely 7/8" or perhaps even 13/16", i.e. much smaller than 25mm.
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I completely concur. But the artiste will be making the call.
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Campagnolo did in fact make 25.0mm seatposts. But there are only 2 current listings for those on eBay, and the cheaper of the two is $153+ shipped - before sales taxes.

Campagnolo also made 25.4mm seatposts - which I think may be what the Le Grande would need.

But there are also only 2 of that size listed on eBay. And the cheaper of the two is just short of $190, shipped - also before sales taxes.

In contrast, a Kalloy 25.4mm alloy Uno seatpost (350mm length) can be had in silver as low as around $16 shipped + sales taxes.

This might be a case where financial sanity should take precedence over Campy bling.
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Campy made 25.0 seatposts for ALAN I believe. What does the Huffente require?

Correctamundo on the seatpost size. I measured it a while back and was quite dismayed to find it 7/8" and even more dismayed to learn that Campy never made 7/8" Super Record seatposts for dumpster bikes. Such is life.

However, we shall adapt, overcome, and ghetto-fy. Many a great-length conversations, both online, and off, have happened regarding the seatpost. As it stands, there may have to be 2 seatposts made, version 1.0 and version 2.0.

Version 1.0 - anything that can work in time for the big event and that is not a boat anchor. I've got some ideas but won't post anything yet. There may be a hint about the design later on in this thread soon, but you'll have to look for it.

Version 2.0 - Utilize a hacked up, cut up 25.0mm Campy Record/Super Record seatpost that would be too short for any sane project, making it only useful for either the dumpster bin or the Huffy (same same). We would only need the post to be as long as it would be sticking up out of the frame. I (as in 'someone else') would then take aluminum bar stock, turn it down to 7/8, and then create a 'landing nub' for whatever the ID of that 25mm seatpost is. So it would be 7/8" in the bottom, and 25mm Campy Super Record on the top. Business on top, party in the back (below). Let's call it the mullet of seatposts.

For now though, the seatpost is on the back burner. There are SO many little thoughts and details (as well as big ones) that are in process. First things first - we gotta get that fork re-attached. So the headset adapters will need to fit right. Secondly, the BB adapter needs the threads chased. Once those two items are sorted, the 'real', 'true', 'actual' build can commence. Up till now, its been 'roll your eyes' level stuff (this I know), but soon, it will reach fever-pitch, bite your fingernails, sign up for therapy level energy. You definitely want to be around to witness that. Or maybe you definitely don't want to be around lol.

Since I didn't see any responses about my inquiry of the crown race size for a Super Record headset, I'll have to pull mine and measure. I hope we are close. Who knows. I'm sure it will be way off. I mean it's the Huffy!

If anyone does know the answer to this, please let me know, so I can start to visualize how much pain I will be in soon while I can't do anything about it currently.