Old 04-05-23, 01:15 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 113 Posts
Two summers ago, I entered Jasper where I was to meet wife and daughter who flew thru Edmonton.

Campgrounds were full, there is no hiker/biker spaces and no "no turn away policy". The overflow campground is reminiscent of a refugee camp -- certainly not a place where you feel as one with nature. I spent one night hidden in the bushes, using the park's sanitary compound.

Luckily, we had a reservation at the excellent youth hostel and spent a few days backcountry hiking.
So my suggestion would be to try and get a reservation at the hostel. With some luck they might be able to accommodate uncertain check-in dates. And to wing it as far as wild camping goes.

One option would to use backcountry sites. Post COVID has seen a sharp increase in RV/car camping but apparently not so much in primitive camping. Not an obvious choice though, because tenting platforms are several kilometers from the trail head, and you can't (not allowed, not at all easy anyhow) to ride the trails.

If you are coming from Alaska, you'll know how to deal with bears. Be discreet, considerate and try to use restrooms and you should be fine.