Old 04-06-23, 09:06 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 49 Posts
John, thanks for the info. However, you did not answer my question of what to do if your planned destination is for circumstances beyond your control out of range one day et cetera, et cetera as described above since you would not have the required permit as you had planned on staying at a front country campground. You can't legally camp in a backcountry site without a permit so then what?

Anyway, I knew about some of the backcountry places and will do more research on the others. BTW, one of your links is bad. I also know about Kenney Lake and if the timing works out, I will probably stay there or at Lucerne which has 2 H/B sites though the Kenney Lake requires a few sections of hike-a-bike after reviewing the Google Streetview of the trail getting there. I will only stay at backcountry sites if I can take my bike. Have you personally stayed at backcountry sites in Jasper (https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/jas...ry/cartes-maps ) in campsites 25, 26, 34, 37, or 49? If so, do any of them NOT require hike-a-bike? I gotta say, the backcountry toilet types don't leave much for privacy!

I am heading to Radium Hot Springs after Castle. There appears to be no campsites north of the Castle Jct.

I gotta say, the backcountry toilet types don't leave much for privacy!

After this the next headache will be Bryce and Zion NPs in Utah in late September. To make things worse, they have closed Watchman CG for 2023 & maybe 2024 in Zion (even though it is supposedly functional according to the Ranger I spoke with) while they evaluate how to improve it & enlarge it. No work is being done on it until 2024. Government thinking at its finest is to close a working CG in a high demand area as they decide how to get more campers in the area. At least there is more dispersed camping nearby.

John, I thank you for your vast knowledge!