Old 04-11-23, 12:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,627 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
I still have trek in the stay caps. Now I'll have nightmares. Happily, a glance with a magnifier shows no cracking, and the Imron looks as pristine as one could expect in a 43 year old bike This guy had Ishiwata 022 DB throughout. 1980's also the year they started gluing rather than screwing the head badge. The only odd thing about mine is the serial number indicates a 54cm, but it's a 56. Perhaps a cm tall, but it's worked for me since 2014 when I grabbed it off an eBay auction. My only grumble is it pulls right no-handed and has a tiny braze gap on the left rear DO. Doug Fattic offered to straighten it many moons ago for not very much money, but given that I don't drive these days, the bike just doesn't ever seem to have enough downtime to send it away.
You have the Trek lettering but it looks nowhere near as wide or deep. I wouldn't worry about. It's the bikes of my era that were known to crack. Then Trek went to the socketed seat lugs and dropouts, almost certainly due to the cracking issue.