SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I wouldn't put much effort into making a pub bike or beater look unappealing. It won't deter thieves. If the thief is stealing bikes worth selling, they won't be fooled by superficial cosmetics. Most thieves I've seen are just opportunists and don't even look at a bike other than to check for locks.

My neighborhood has declined rapidly the past three years and I've literally watched a few bike thefts. These are always opportunists. They don't spend a moment trying to decide whether a bike is worth any money. All they care about is whether it's unlocked. If it's unlocked they just grab and go. If the bike is any good, it's gone for good. If not, the thief might discard it after a joy ride or out of boredom. I've watched some thieves ride a bike a block or two, then leave it in the middle of a street to be run over, or bash it a few times against a utility pole or wall just to wreck it.

All it takes to deter these guys is a simple lock. They rarely bother to carry cutting tools. They might still go ahead and kick in the spokes or break something else, because it isn't about money. They just want to screw up other people's stuff.

It's gotten bad enough I don't even ride my errand bike a mile to the grocery store anymore. Doesn't do any good to lock it up because some idiot will just kick in the spokes or cut the saddle.

Occasionally there's a cop or security guard in the store, but they're only there to deter obvious shoplifters. They don't get involved in parking lot crimes since a guy was murdered in the open one weekday morning last year by three 13 year olds as part of a gang initiation. The kids didn't even run away. They just sauntered around until the cops picked them up.
Is this DFW area?
PM if you want. Looking for where to avoid in TX. What you’re describing is like the worst ghettos of LA.
The neighborhood used to be OK? What caused the change?