Old 04-13-23, 02:56 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
I ordered Jagwire compressionless brake housing when doing a complete overhaul of my most recent tandem. Let's just say I am NOT impressed. The performance improvement between my standard SRAM brake housing and the Jagwire is marginal, if even that. It works, no doubt, but the rear brake is pretty squishy, which compares similarly to my other road tandem. Running Ultegra STI with Avid v-brakes via Rollamajigs. Old tandem running 105 STI with old Deore XT cantilever brakes. Both are similar in the rear brake's squishiness.
Elite housing does make a difference and its inexpensive versions by less known manufacturers are good enough, provided these are combined with Jagwire lining. On folders you often need to run complicated routings for the rear and that type of housing pretty much relieves the penalty for such routings. You can combine different bead colors and pretty much no beads get wasted as you can use and reuse these beads simultaneously for brake and shift cables. As a bead has all the functionality of a ferrule, you get rid of the ferrules too.