View Single Post
Old 04-13-23, 03:27 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have been using carbon wheels for a long time...road, MTB, and gravel. For a long time, it was all I used. I can tell you a few things I have experienced. COMPLIANT carbon wheels are amazing since they are light and laterally pretty stiff. Many carbon wheels are harsh as heck, and I find my newer alloy wheels far nicer. I don't particularly like Specialized carbon wheels. ENVE and ZIPPs feel far better to me. I also think that if you want comfort, a well-built alloy wheelset is a better experience, and still light and fast, though not as fast or aero as deeper carbon wheels. If you race, you want light and aero so get some nice carbon wheels. If you don't race and are riding for fun, alloys like the DT411 are so comfy and not that heavy at all. In the MTB world, there are carbon wheels I avoid as well...Santa Cruz Reserve, We Are One Composites, and Specialized. I love Revel and Ibis wheels and still use alloy wheels on some bikes...super comfy. It is even more evident in the road bike and gravel world to me. I really have started to dislike harsh carbon wheels, but for a while, that was all I knew.