terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I haven’t spent the afternoon looking up wheels.

But off the top of my head, I think my Crests are 385g per rim and 23mm internal width.

They’re fine but nothing particularly special. So using them as a model, I would guess that there’s plenty of rims with internal width of 22-24mm that weigh about the same, approximately 400g.

Definitely sub 385g carbon rims exist. I think I’ve seen 250, so that is substantially lighter. Shopping around though, many seem to weigh what aluminum ones weigh, between 380 and 420g. With extremely similar internal width, though the external width is quite a bit more.

Most of the ones I’ve seen aren’t what I’d consider aero, sorta deep (40mm or so) with a slightly rounded surface.

For adventure type of riding, 10-15mph, on everything from pavement to “blue” MTB trails, I just don’t see the advantage.

Im not against carbon for racing, especially road. I also recognize some inherent advantages for a burly MTB wheel.

I think a lot of people equate carbon to lightweight without actually checking the weight.
Light Bicycle's AR25 disc rim weighs 250 grams. Interior width is 24 mm. It's on my wish list.

Not actually checking the weight? Who are these savages?

My name is Terry, and I'm a weight weenie. I admit that i have a problem, but I would like leave this meeting early to search for some aluminum mounting bolts.