View Single Post
Old 04-15-23, 05:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
OP: note Downtube saying that if you qualify for PBP, wheels are sort of irrelevant and mental strength is a much bigger factor. That is very important point. Too many new randonneurs focus too much on gear and too little on riding (IMO)

Flo's data shows the advantages just for the wheels at zero yaw, if I am not mistaken. Often when riders upgrade wheels, they also upgrade tires. And, wind on the road is not so nice like a wind tunnel. It is far more turbulent with the front wheel air going from one state to the other, constantly stalling and then flowing nice. Boxed rims are far worse in dirty air (I could be wrong). So, in the real world in my opinion, Flo's data is conservative.

You will find all manner of bicycles on PBP (see below). There are 4 general groups of riders: Vedettes get 80 hours and go off first starting at 16:00 Sunday in waves of 300 riders (A, B, C, D, E), Specials (velomobiles, tandems, recumbents, and any other) get 90H and go off in Group F and then the Tourists (by far the largest) get 90H and then the Randonndeur category get 84 hours leaving in the morning. You will not see many slow bikes in the 80H groups and carbon rims are very common. In the 90H groups, aluminum box shaped rims with Marathon type tires are are relatively common and probably have little effect on whether someone finishes within the time limit.

Thus, you do not NEED better wheels. You do need resolve.

https://www.plattyjo.com/paris-brest...-the-bicycles/

ipernity: Sophie Matter meets streamliner. - by Alan Woods