Old 04-18-23, 09:11 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
You need to put the wheel in the frame with the cassette joint mounted in order to determine the best orientation for the joint. Then select the washers that keep the axle and cassette joint in that position.
Thanks! OK, I watched a video on installing the cassette, and I think I was successful. As I think there is no way to effectively aim the cassette arm down and forward due to far too short a run of housing until the chainstay stop, I am still thinking of aiming it up and straight back. Thus the correct washers seem to be the 7L/7R grey and black, as the axle flats are nearly vertical.

i have another question. I have the cassette in place, but it seems to me that the cassette has a tiny bit of wiggle once installed, perhaps 1/16” left to right, and there is even a tiny bit of play in the yellow-dot locking ring but is disinclined to back off. Is this play normal? If not, where would one adjust it out?