View Single Post
Old 04-21-23, 10:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Okay, I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure it's that important where the fatty acids (FAs) are coming from. The body seems to do a good job of distributing FAs where it wants to--and transporting them to the bloodstream when needed.

Nor is it clear (to me) that max. transport of subcutaneous FAs occurs at 25% of VO2max, only that most of the FAs at that level are coming from subcutaneous tissue. Maybe the transport continues at a high level or even goes higher, supplemented by the FAs stored in muscle. (Andy Coggan made a passing reference to this effect in a recent podcast, saying that at high heart rates, blood flow is shunted towards working muscles and away from subcutaneous tissue, thus reducing the transport of FAs into the bloodstream, but he didn't specify how high the heart rate needs to be to cause this shunting.)

The pertinent section of the article:

At 25% VO2max, FAox [fatty acid oxidation] comprises >90% of energy expenditure and more specifically plasma FAs provide the largest energy contribution, where muscle glycogen and IMTG [intramuscular triglycerides] contribute very little. At exercise intensities <65% VO2max muscle glycogen and IMTG oxidation increase considerably to as much as 50% of energy expenditure

When approaching 65% of VO2max, since 50% of energy is coming from glycogen+IMTG, that presumes the other 50% is coming from somewhere else (subcutaneous FAs?).
In my experience, low intensity and lower carb, higher fat, and higher protein diet is sustainable

Nobody can do 50% of VO2 max for 30 days straight. Not even close. RAAM riders' power drop down to a very low steady state and that is only 10 days.

The source of FA isn't so important and is too much a detour for me to want to discuss.

I've lost 20 pounds of fat in 3+ weeks more than once and it stayed off. Both times were all day low intensity efforts that were sustainable. 50% of VO2 max would be 175-200 watts for me, typically. By the time I get to day 5, 100-130 watts is about all I can hold. So, why not just start with 100-130W on day 1 and not get sore, tired, and develop sleeping problems. Some tourists and thru hikers do go 10-12 hours per day and almost w/o exception they report not being able to replace all of the calories and their fat goes away, sometimes at a pound per day. Anytime I have done long backpacking or long touring, upon return I crush all my cycling times especially on climbs because my power is high and weight is low.

The idea that someone should not exercise when on any diet would be a huge red flag to me. If a diet required that, I wouldn't do it.