Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
Thank you for mentioning this. I checked a bit online and this is that it says in part from the Parks Canada website

" * Does it say bear spray or bear repellent? To be legal in Canada, the label must clearly show that it is intended for use on animals; the package volume cannot exceed 500 ml.
* Size and strength: a 225 ml can (about 10 seconds worth) with 0.75%-1% capsaicin is recommended."

Maybe Parks Canada did not know it, but they seem to display (both in a picture and a video) of a 2% capsaicin can from Frontiersman which seems to exceed Canada's 1% limit. I did notice that all the sprays made in Canada that I briefly looked for online had a 1% capsaicin and 0.75% "capsaicin related" ingredients. Most sprays made in the USA are 2%.

Do you remember the capsaicin percentage of the can you carried and were you able to cross the border (which direction with it) or did they confiscate the can?
From memory, I think anything over 2% was probably considered pepper spray and an offensive weapon. Never had any issues with our Canadian bought stuff crossing the YK/AK border and back. From the looks of things online, as long as it’s certified as a bear spray in the USA then it’s bear spray in Canada. Best not to overthink it.