Old 04-25-23, 08:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,529 Times in 1,485 Posts
PeteHski Congrats on century and PRs. Right now we are doing mostly high power big gear work with limited endurance. Almost a flipped polarized model. My limit today is about 3 hours of solid riding then I fall apart.

MoAlpha At the track, there is a sprint group that has the 3 hour slot ahead of us that have some Team USA sprinters and others. One of my friends, who is the 5 year age group below me, was saying that they are now using very big gears and not much gym. He is doing some efforts in 140 gear inches. Very short sprint efforts in large gears provides better strength training than the gym trying to match up muscle speed, angle and coordination with the upper body. So the leg presses, squats, deadlifts and etc metrics are interesting but not as good as on the bike work.

That does not negate gym strength training as a viable modality to improve fitness on the bike or ones health. It is not as good as on the bike...at least now on the track speed fashion show. Maybe now our sprinters can compete with the Euros, Aussies and New Zealanders. Our USA sprinters have sucked in World Cup in the past. We will see.