Old 03-12-06, 02:12 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
You can always try your local craigslist or thriftstores. Cheap bikes, non-walmart types, so you don't have to worry about buyer's remorse. Stick to the brands that you recognize just to be on the safe side. After you bought your bike and you're worried about fit(though you should have tested the bike if it can fit you in the first place) and adjustments, you can bring it into an LBS that you like, for about $25 or so and have them adjust those stuff for you.
Absolutely, thrift stores are ideal for the indecisive. Go ahead and blow no more than the price of a good bottle of wine (around here) or a good meal somewhere else. Take a few of those short rides mentioned about and check a bunch of yard sales and flea markets. If you find a better bike just dump the old one and keep going. Then after a couple of weeks roll up to the least offensive bike shop and ask for an estimate on an overhaul. I'll bet they treat you more politely if you ride in even if it is on a beater bike. "Why are you riding this P.O.S.?" "Because I had a hard time getting anyone to take me seriously when I was shopping before." I have a hard time imagining a shop that will not order an out of stock bike if you ask what the deposit would be.

Or find the owner of each bike shop that brushed you off and comment on the way you were treated. Unless the owner was the rude one. Then do no go back. And tell others.