Old 04-28-23, 04:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,669 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
A BB dynamo that uses the rider's pedaling to generate electricity has never been done, to my knowledge. It would be interesting to know if it is possible, given the diametric constraints and (comparatively) slow rpm.

The Pro Tour is built for one of those under-BB dynamos that clamps between the chainstays, flicks on with a lever, and runs on the tire's tread. I always liked them, they seemed a bit more weatherproof than the sidewall bottle units. My childhood setup (thanks dad!) was one of those, but mounted on the front rack to run on the front tire, right next to the headlight. The tail light was a battery operated blinky. The "fancy" halogen headlight was pretty amazing compared to anything battery operated, at least that we could afford, back in those days.

Of course the modern hubs and LEDs are the 8th wonder of the world, in comparison to what we had then.
I revisited the world of bb dynamos a year or so ago. It wasn't as good as I remember. Better than a sidewall for sure but nowhere near as good as a hub. Good memories though.