mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I don't remember exactly, but it was around $160-180, something like that. I didn't ask him to break down the cost between blasting and coating. It was a few years ago so I imagine prices have gone up, along with everything else. I'm sure if you call him he'd quote you a price to do just the blasting.
Clear coat over bare steel makes me nervous - corrosion--wise. I have some trepidation about power coating all together. My first custom race frame (John Cherry in Bloomington IN) had our frames powder coated. I had corrosion form underneath the powder coating. Frame rusted from the inside as well. Not sure if there were other issues at work -- like 20 years of riding.....

As I consider powder again.....
$150 ~$200 seems to be about typical for a single color - no fade.
So my trade off is:
$15 for Ox-acid and 3 hours(?) to soak and rinse and repeat (plus dealing with nonchalantly letting the bath drain down my driveway as I chase it with a garden hose to dilute)
3 ~ 5 hours: chemical stripping decals and mechanical sanding smooth (but ain't no way am i stripping to bare steel.....)
$80 (?) for primer / duplicolor / 2K clear coat + (?) 5 hours of garage painting / basement curing (taking several weeks....)

Right - probably a pro-powder coating is what I'll do....

cheers Thanks all! Now back to your Original Topic.....