Old 05-02-23, 10:57 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Interesting premise, how is your front shifting? Couldn't really tell what front der and shifter you settled on. For 7-early 10sp, road and mtb shared the same rear der shift ratio but with 9sp stopped sharing front der shifting ratios with triples. That's why when you look at a 9 or 10sp triple shifter you'll see a bigger space between the 1 and 2 than between the 2 and 3. Shimano put a longer pull into the der for that initial jump, I suspect so they could justify selling sora and tiagra flat bar levers for more than their equivalent mtb shifters.
For basic brakes I would look at shimano mt200 as someone suggested or check out merlin cycles for some affordable tektros, be about 100.00 to your door for a full set including discs.

Yes, one is particularly terrifying when careening down rural Serbian roads at 60mph as you flash past all the roadside shrines to people who have tragically died from driving their Yugo too fast. The other one figures prominently in Silver alerts from elderly going senile and driving off into oblivion.
I posted the parts that I used. Shifting is awesome and pretty dang seamless. A bit of noise on cross shifting but on 3x9 I would expect that. Not a gear selection that would be used anyway. I have tuned it to near perfection. Almost every gear change is fast and not noticeable. I am really impressed by the silence. The front derailleur is a cheap Shimano Tourney but it was basically all I could find. It works, so I will keep it.