View Single Post
Old 05-03-23, 02:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5105 Post(s)
Liked 8,417 Times in 3,974 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
late 70's early 80's nishki...hard to tell model. good quality frame, likely double butted cro mo tubing. frame likely made by miyata

by any chance does the blue/white bike shop label say "the off ramp"

it would be english bottom bracket
you would need a claw derailler or claw derailler adapter https://www.performancebike.com/sunr...BoCzsMQAvD_BwE

the rear is 126 mm so you need to check your wheels or current bike to see if they are 126 or 130. you can stuff a 130 into 126 steel frame, but results can vary, cold setting frame to 130 better

all do able, but take some detail knowledge and planning, not just jump in and see what happens
Heabadge tells me early '70s. There are folks in the C&V section that could probably pinpoint it closer. I agree 100% that it's do-able, but it probably won't be simple. I expect there will be some old vs. new computability issues that will make certain parts of it more challenging to swap parts from the broken (newer) bike to this one. I would also expect some moments of real frustration. It looks like the rear derailleur hanger is missing. It's very possible i was hacked off to make give it a cleaner appearance for a single-speed setup. This can be dealt with, but it's just one of the hurdle that will have to be crossed. There may also be a 27" vs 700c wheel size challenge. Challenges mean money will probably need to be spent.