View Single Post
Old 05-03-23, 08:45 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
You asked for people to Vet Your Plan.
I meant for the "vetting" to be a conversion. A conversation in which I got to participate and voice my own opinions as well as receive the opinions of others.

They responded with proven facts about relative wheel strength.
I disagree. So far, they responded with opinions on relative wheel strength. Opinions that have not been established as fact. At the least, not within this thread. If you've got "proof" then, by all means, show your hand.

Your responses indicate that you just want to do what you want to do and don’t care about facts.
I disagree. I feel that I have gone to great lengths -- via rational argument and empirical measurement -- to establish what the facts may be. Just because I don't blindly accept your facts does not mean that I don't care about ascertaining the truth.

You present all sorts of irrelevant measurements and ignore the relevant ones.
I disagree. I presented the lock nut to flange dimensions that Bill Kapaun specifically asked me for. And they demonstrated the same equivalency as the other measurement I presented. That, because they have all been mathematically related measurements targeted at establishing the same thing: the lateral, drive side spoke offset. Regardless, if you know of more relevant measurements, why not suggest them to me so that I can collect them for you? I can't read you mind from here.

If you don’t want to accept the facts from people who know what they are doing, well, build your wheel and see what happens.
1) The facts have not been established as facts thus far.

2) Multiple, sometimes contradictory opinions have been expressed in this thread. How am I to know which I should defer my own judgment to and accept as "facts"? Yours? Hondos? Who's?

3) How do I know that you, or anybody else here, knows what they are doing? How do you know that I don't know what I'm doing? It's the internet FFS. You're Elon Musk and I'm Beyonce... let's talk bikes.

4) Of course I'll build my wheel and see what happens. I don't need your permission for that.

Rather than denying my right to voice my opinions in my own thread, perhaps focus your efforts on proving these "facts" that you keep mentioning. That, or just move on.

I may well be wrong regarding wheel strength. If someone can prove that to be the case, I'll relish the opportunity to learn. Until then, I intend to remain a critical consumer of the information presented.