View Single Post
Old 05-07-23, 03:16 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
First day at the track! Northeast Velodrome in Londonderry, NH. Basically just off the south end of Manchester airport. Pushing the "Metro Boston" envelope a little, but hey, we had participants from Waltham and Swampscott, so there.

The new rider clinic was a blast but I decided to sit out the racing today, it was an Omnium format and felt like just a bit too much to get used to all at once. I've never competed in anything, I don't even ride in groups really, and it showed. Speed was not the issue, it was just practice after all, but we were doing a lot of laps of paceline drills and I was having a hard time getting used to following closely. My road mind wanted more of a safety gap.

In reality I think I would have been fine, as the B level racing (where newbies are starting out) was strung out pretty long around the course with a lot of riders just doing their own thing. But anyway, I had fun, it was a great and welcoming group and a low-key atmosphere. If I can make it with my job, I plan to go back Thursday night for sprint racing.

Unfortunately my GPS app didn't like me going in circles and didn't register any speed at all. Another reason I want to go back and see what's what in the flying 200m.

My steed in race trim:

Worked very well, but it was too windy for my makeshift stand. A few other bikes went over, as well, though; there wasn't enough room on the rail for everyone to hang their bikes by the saddle. The Radio Flyer belonged to the youngest fan in attendance

NEV is originally a motor racing track with very shallow banking. Most recently shared 50:50 with a kart group but I understand they pulled out after last season. The facility is looking a little rough as a result. That's a lot of asphalt and fencing to keep up in a New England climate.

Besides piles of old racecar tires everywhere, there was also this reminder of a higher-octane past.

The Specialized is one of their rental fleet, available for $10 for the day. Race fee is $30 on Sundays and $20 on Tuesday (mass start races) and Thursday (alternating timed events and sprints) nights. https://nevelodrome.com/ but their Facebook and Instagram posts actually seem to be more up to date than the website.

I also want to check out the Londonderry Rail Trail which passes very close by. Close enough that I could see myself using the trail for warming up (with a front brake mounted), as practice time on the track is limited.

I have no idea how many laps we did. It's nominally 333m per lap, but I'm sure it was at least 30 laps so let's say 10km/6 miles today at a minimum.
Likes For EVlove: