Old 05-08-23, 10:15 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Thanks for chiming in. I'm glad to hear from everyone but especially glad to hear from another T2D who is doing well. Congratulations.

How are you defining "remission"? Is it:

1) You have good blood sugar control without medication so long as you are careful with your diet. This seems to be what "remission" means for most T2D.

2) You have good blood sugar control without medication regardless of what you eat?

I'm the former but strive to be the later. That, not because I'm hankering for doughnuts and big macs but, rather, because that would signal the reversal of insulin resistance. Science hasn't yet shown that exercise can achieve this level of remission but, at the same time, it also hasn't shown that it can't. So I'm holding on to some long shot hope in that regard. Obviously, the exercise is wildly beneficial for T2D's either way.
For me remission =
Unmedicated normal A1c /BG's and the ability to have a bit of carbs from time to time with no spikes - but 98% of the time the diet is spot on.

Example - my recent birthday dinner I ate the restaurant bread and 1/2 of their cheesecake dessert - and I did carb a bit up for my ride in the AM. Probably had upwards of 3-400 grams of carbs for the day (did ride 55 miles), my 1 hour PP was 110, 2 hour PP was 90. Before remission I would have been in the 4-600 range.

Normally I eat less than 40 grams of carbs per day, most of the time around 20 net. Can I eat more and not go out of remission? Not going to test those waters!!!!