Old 05-09-23, 05:54 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I've never been overweight in any statistical sense and I thought that I was plausibly "non-sedentary" because I've always been a gym rat. In the gym, however, I was 90% resistance training because I like that much more than cardio. I've come to feel that, in the absence of pretty serious endurance training, one really is "sedentary" no matter what else they are doing. That, because it's all about the mitochondria it seems. So I was "sedentary" all of my adult life in this sense. And it's landed me in a difficult spot re T2D and all of the potential downstream stuff.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend Peter Attia / Gerald Shulman on A Master Class on Insulin Resistance: #140 - Gerald Shulman, MD, PhD: Insulin resistance—molecular mechanisms and clinical implications - Bing video. That is the way. I guess 25% or ripped, college students test out to be some degree insulin resistance if they are sedentary. Out in gen pop, it's 88%. The prevalence of it is nuts. Basically everybody had diabetes, they just don't know it yet.

I've watch many Attia videos - great stuff.
Sedentary is one thing, but our modern diets and genetics are another. 10's of thousands of years we lived without processed food, added sugars in everything, HCFS, even readily available fruits and fruit juice. And for much of that time, people were not doing tons of Z2 work...

My T2 started in my late 20's. I was an avid cyclist and gym rat - I also subscribed to the heavy carb loading theories of the day. Mass amounts of carbs - and my symptoms began. I forget the guys name - but he was big proponent of carb loading when he trained elite athletes. Now he's changed his tune and thinks he may have created a bunch of diabetics in the process.

I'm from Vikining lineage. My ancestors lived off meat, fat and limited grains, sugars and fruits. My body just isn't capable of handling the modern diet. And my dad plus both of my sisters are diabetic...