Old 05-09-23, 07:11 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,857 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
I am seriously thinking about buying a frame and swapping it all over. As much as I can anyway. I have no idea how to buy a frame though.
Why--I mean, really think hard about this and tell us--why do you want to buy a new frame? Because people here ripped on the Schwinn a little? Or do you know exactly what type of riding you want to do, and exactly how you expect your bike to handle? Bike designers--who presumably have some experience with physics and bike mechanics--spend careers intelligently designing bikes from the ground up with specific frame materials and components that support the type of bike they're designing, and the price point they're going after. I assure you--their designs aren't random collections of frames and parts.

When I got my first frame, I had to do a ton of research on frame weights, tubing manufacturers, frame angles, frame sizes, quality of frame manufacturers, frame features such as what braze-ons I wanted; even down to color choices. Back then, there was no Internet, so I read tons of books from the library and got a bunch of magazines.

It does sound like you jumped in with both feet with admittedly little knowledge of cycling. I mean--you said it above: You don't have any idea how to buy a frame. How exactly would you go about actually buying a frame without the knowledge of how to do it? And why would you want to do that? Obviously, you have to have some idea of what you want before you try searching.

Last edited by smd4; 05-09-23 at 07:16 AM.