View Single Post
Old 05-10-23, 08:26 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Any person who is a master welder will refuse to even try to weld this. And any person that agrees to weld this is not a master welder.

And yet... it broke. There was enough stress to break the factory welded frame, which had the benefit of a post-weld heat treat. A repair weld will be weaker than the factory weld. What makes you think that its possible that the respair will hold?

It's not terrible? Based upon what? A stress analysis evaluating vector forces on the frame? Your gut feel?

Physics, and the strength of materials really, really, really doesn't care what you think. You can be happily riding on your flex-o-matic one second and paralyzed the next, from your head hitting pavement and breaking your neck.

Ah, so maybe he/she does have some competence. If warranted, transfer parts to a new warranty frame. If not warranted, buy a replacement frame and do the same thing.

I mean... I only have PhD in Engineering and am a registered professional engineer, so perhaps you gut feel is a better guide than the education, 40 years of professional experience, including 5 working in a bike shop.

I mean what was it that Matt Damon said about crypto? "Fortune favors the brave"!? Oh.. wait..
Engineering question for you, what is the next joint to fail? From what I understand the triangle is now a parallelogram, and it will fail near the forks, but which joint do you think it would be? I live on a 20% grade hill and Ive been told it will fail when I use the front brake