View Single Post
Old 05-11-23, 11:51 AM
Corto 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Novara Serial Number

Greetings -- I picked up an old Novara Strada the other day and thought I'd contribute its serial number to the database: S0P5240 (found on the underside of the bottom bracket). I believe the lugged, steel, 7 speed bike is a 1990 or '91 model: its Shimano 105 crankset and front derailleur are both stamped OJ, which I think corresponds with an October 1990 component manufacture date, and I found an old blog where a fellow posted pictures of his '91 Strada (same two color frame - red with dark grey fade applied - yellow cable housing; same graphics -- I'd post a picture, but I'm too new to the Forums to be able to do so). If T-Mar's "S-2" code system is at work here, my serial number may show frame manufacture in the August 13 - 20 fortnight of 1990, which would seem to make sense for a bike that was built in Japan (as the decal headbadge says) and shipped to the US to receive its October-dated Shimano parts before being sold here in 1991 (my understanding is that Novara - the REI house brand - was made in Japan and then shipped to US for finishing up and sale). Is there still a suspicion that H. Tano built these frames?

Incidentally, it rides beautifully.