Old 05-12-23, 10:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,789 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
Years ago I believe I remember reading a Velo News article regarding chain waxing. As good as the article was with all the explained benefits I just couldn't wrap my head around "all that work". Fas forward a decade or so the advent of COVID working from home and watching You Tube I came across ozcycling this guy, again brought out the benefits, but also made the process seem so easy. So I jumped in and can't see going back.

Let's share our experiences process and what we use here for the sharing of information as well as a resource for others.

For me, I'm using Oz Cyclings mix 500g of paraffin wax and 50g of PTFE (<1.6µm).

For cleaning the chain I used his process, Soaked the chain in petrol then a degreaser and then Mentholated spirits to get the chain nice and clean for the wax to stick.

Swished the chain in the warm liquid wax mix until the bubbles stopped implying all air was displaced and the wax got into the important areas.

Take the chain out let it cool some and then free up the links and install.

After the initial laborious clean, now I remove the chain and pour boiled water over the chain. This removes the old wax and it's ready for the waxing process. That all takes less than 10 minutes.

I bought a cheap crock pot for the waxing, cost about 15 bucks.

More to come.
Good to hear!