View Single Post
Old 05-13-23, 12:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
One or two of the 2 lane country roads I ride here have a lot of dump truck traffic going to a from a nearby gravel pit. They are some of the better behaved motor vehicles on the road. They stay a respectful distance behind till they can take the other lane fully and then they will pass when it's clear. So I'm not sure what scares you in the picture. It matters not that the wheels are off the side of the road since there isn't anything in front of it to run over. And you are making the assumption it wouldn't just stay behind you till it was in the clear.
Its just the imagery of that big truck rounding a blind curve with two wheels in the gutter and literally no place for me to go no matter how much I would want to bail to the ditch. That's all. Nothing implied about the driver. It's just a funny/horrifying image given my mindset at the time it popped up. And it's a potential safety issue which is why I posted here and not somewhere else on BF. Many, many roads near Greenville look like that or worse from a cyclist's eye view.