Old 05-14-23, 02:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Good questions, I wish I had answers. What I remember from the assessment a couple of years ago is that a large portion of the cost will be for cleaning up after the railroad. There are rusting tracks, rail cars, old ties, everywhere including the Eel River. I don't know if the state will go so far as to steam clean the gravel around the tracks, but it needs to be cleaned up anyway, trail or no.

They do plan to do it in sections, going with the easiest parts first and saving the hardest part (lookin' at you, Eel River Canyon) for last. As Senator McGuire has said all along, this isn't going to be a fast project; it's going to take years, and I imagine funding will be part of it. I do know that the Senator has worked hard for this for a long time, and I don't think he's going to let it languish for lack of money. I expect it to be as (in)efficient as any other government-run project.

Heck, parts of the trail already exist! There's a section in Ukiah, the Elk River Estuary/Hikshari'/Waterfront Trail in Eureka (the county has begun planning the next section south to College of the Redwoods), the Humboldt Bay Trail that connects to the Waterfront Trail (groundbreaking for the missing middle section is in a couple of days), with the northern section in Arcata completed six years ago, and the city's working on expanding that another few miles to the Mad River and eventually to Blue Lake. So I don't think it's going to all be state funded; I hope more communities will take it upon themselves to build sections through their towns.

Originally Posted by PoweredByVeg
Korina Yes I have thanks, and great news about the Smelly Train …

Elephant in the room is funding. Not surprising given slowing economy California is facing a deficit (as is my local city), do you or anybody here have a realistic assessment of how this will play out? OK the present conditions will turn around at some point, but as I understand it they’ve got something like 10M for making a plan, say they come out with architectural drawings and a detailed plan from that (unlikely but stay with me), how will it go from there?

By the way I have to say having worked for big corp in private industry I’m always amazed at how public projects work. I watched a good portion of the kickoff livestream McGuire ran, and when one person described her 80 person department as ‘small’ my jaw literally dropped. In private industry (big S&P sized companies) that would be the size of a large entire division … so for example 10M say for coming up with a master plan - which undoubtedly will be low calorie and light on concrete details, in my experience is … a lot. Too bad this couldn’t be run the way the space industry has gone, which is public funding (NASA) with private ownership providing services (SpaceX). Amazing things can happen really quickly with that arrangement, but I’m digressing ...