View Single Post
Old 03-13-06, 12:03 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We get many questions on this forum from folks with around $600 to spend on a loaded touring bike, wanting to know if it is possible. Well of course you can tour on just about anything with enough patience, but assuming you want a bike suited for the purpose, and a fairly trouble-free experience, here are some suggestions. Two common configuration of touring bike are the road-bike style, with drop bars and 700mm wheels, and the expedition-style, with 26" wheels and a more typical flat handlebar like a mountain bike. The roadbike style will be slightly faster on pavement, and the expedition-style is possibly a bit more rugged due to the 26" wheels and mtn bike frame. Both can be purchased or built on a budget, keeping in mind the following:

First of all, a loaded touring bike generally will have a stronger, heavier frame and wheelset, frequently with 36-spoke wheels, to carry the weight. The gearing will almost always be a triple in front, often with a mountain bike (mtb) crankset and small chainrings, combined with large cogs in the rear, for low overall gearing capable of climbing over hills with a load. Tires will generally run larger than typical roadbikes, for load capacity and a smoother ride. Shifters may be the simpler and more reliable bar-end style.

Frame material will usually be chromoly steel for strength and a smooth ride, although there are exceptions to this, such as the excellent aluminum Cannondale touring series. The frame geometry itself will have more relaxed angles and a longer wheelbase for stability and room to carry panniers. The seating position often puts the bars at seat height or greater, and the frame will have an assortment of braze-ons for mounting of racks, water bottles, and other accessories.

Ok, with a basic understanding of what we are looking for, what can we get for around $600? Assuming that you want something manufactured within the last decade or so, two popular options representing each type of bike configuration are as follows:

1) Used bikes designed for loaded touring frequently come up on Ebay or bulletin boards like Craigslist, which I prefer. Bikes such as the venerable Trek 520, the Novara Randonee, Fuji Touring and the Cannondale T-series are all candidates - with strong wheels, frames and appropriate gearing in most cases. A 5-10 year old model can usually be found in good shape for around $500, which allows a little extra for servicing, wheel truing if necessary, and possible fit modifications (stem, etc). It may have a rack and/or accessories. Make sure the wheels appear true and in good condition, with even spoke tension, or allow for rebuilding.

I bought my 1995 Trek 520 off CL a few years ago for $600 with low miles and it has been trouble-free. Note that the earlier 520's came with mtn bike front gearing, unlike the more recent models which have a road crank (which can be swapped). In any case, this style of traditional touring bike will also serve well as a commuter and general purpose road bike, being the faster choice of the two styles on pavement.

2. The second option is the expedition style bike, for those who prefer a flat handlebar and/or plan to do some dirt roads along the way. The budget approach here is to convert a steel mountain bike from the early 90's to a touring rig. I did this recently with a 1993 Trek 970 - a high end chromoly mtn bike with a rigid fork, lugged frame, and XT components. Expect to pay $2-300 for a similar Trek, Stumpjumper or Marin mtn bke of similar vintage. I would suggest buying a higher end steel frame model which will have better wheels and components than an entry level bike, and the price difference will be minimal. It will also be lighter. Look for a rigid fork for pedaling efficiency, lower maintenance, and a smooth ride with a load.

In my case, I cleaned up my bike, serviced the bearings, and mounted Continental Town and Country 26 x 1.9 tires - beefy tires that roll well on pavement but can handle rough terrain as well. I added Jandd racks - the Extreme front holds panniers high or low, and the Expedition rear is extra long for better heel - pannier clearance. The riding position was too stretched out, so I put on a shorter stem and bars that had some rise, along with a Terry men's saddle, although it may get a Brooks at some point. This entire touring setup, with racks and all modifications, was under $500, leaving money for panniers.

Make sure you get your riding position dialed-in properly - or you will be miserable. Also, note that mountain bikes often come with 175mm crank arms for greater power off road, where a similar size roadbike might have 170, or 172.5. The longer arms will result in slightly greater knee flex which may cause discomfort when pedaling all day long, especially if you are not a tall person. I prefer shorter crank arms myself, due to knee issues from running. They can be changed, but allow $100 more on the project cost if you think it will be necessary.

In summary (finally!) either one of these bike setups should carry you on week-long tours or across country without problems, and without a large investment, saving money for actual touring expenses while on the road. You can always buy a fancier rig once you find out how much you enjoy touring!

Last edited by mtnroads; 03-16-06 at 12:49 AM.