View Single Post
Old 05-16-23, 05:30 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 279 Posts
I was a "negative nancy" regarding waxing the chain.
We use a standard paraffin wax at the shop where I work. I was "forced" to wax a new chain for a customer. The process was easy enough and when I put the chain on the bike and ran it through a few times I was impressed at the quiet of the drive train.
I did one of my own for my Aethos. First ride I immediately noticed how quiet the drive train is and an actual feel of smoothness in the chain rings as the chain passed over. The coating of wax really smooths out the chain feel...so silky !
I have since gone down the rabbit hole. I have two crock pots in my home shop. One with Molten wax and the other with Silca Super Secret. I've used both, on separate chains, and honestly don't notice the difference except the silence and silky feel of the drive train.
Whether it saves a watt or two doesn't really matter to me though I understand "marginal gains".
I also notice how clean the chain and drive train is after a week of riding...I generally ride over 200 miles per week which can make a chain icky but not so when coated in wax.
I'm a convert ! ! !
Likes For Kai Winters: