Old 05-19-23, 07:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11004 Post(s)
Liked 7,534 Times in 4,214 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
My sole point is that if you are talking speed, aero is one factor in the equation that needs to be considered.
But if that factor cant be turned into actual data, should it be a factor? Yeah there might be an aero difference, but with so many variables(wheel width, wheel depth, hooks or hookless, tire width) to account for, how is anyone supposed to speak confidently about that factor?
Rolling resistance is known due to easily available test data. Weight is known due to easily available test data. Feel/comfort is known due to countless user views. But aero difference? I genuinely have 0 idea what the aero difference is between a 28mm and 32mm tire when they are on the same rim. And I definitely dont know the aero difference when they are on different rims(rim profiles that optimize each tire size).
So if I have 0 idea, I dont think it should be something I factor in when making a decision. How would I ever factor it in?

Aero differences for varying sized GP5k tires, on the same rim and on optimized rims, is definitely something I would be interested in reading about. I am not aware of aero testing or GP5k tires though.
And if there is a difference, is it 1watt, 10watts, or 50watts? The actual difference is critical when factoring in aero, and we dont know that difference.