View Single Post
Old 05-19-23, 08:01 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 3,760 Times in 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
All right. Hopefully you have a before picture to go with the after. (or an after to go with the before) Then would need an encapsulation of the spending and mileage. Then it's a matter of waiting until September for results.

Plenty of time to prepare more submissions.

I was thinking about this thread today. My dumb Huffy project is sucking all my time, money, sanity, etc, but once the ride is done in June, I'll need to switch gears for some sanity before jump back into the lava pool, and I might have just the project.

One day when I was volunteering at a local co-op, I notice a Fuji Cambridge in the scrap pile. The frame looked so interesting to me that I saved it. The bike is likely from the early 80s, but has that early 60s vibe, with the rolling top tube, which was reminiscent of the early 20s. Oh my

Here is what a much cleaner example than mine looks like:

I actually do have the parts to just about finish it...and in fact, a few months back, I was able to put together a 105 (I think) headset for it and re-attach the fork. Bout the only thing I need for it is a good set of cranks, and maybe some brake levers. Oh and a seat.

I also saved what was called a 'Rekord' from '72, which was your quintessential W. German 'desperate capitalization on the bike boom' offering. It was also in a scrap pile, and missing wheels, stem, bars, levers, brakes, seatpost, and seat. But it has all the running gear (full delrin Simplex) and cottered cranks already on there. The decals are cool - that's about the only thing going for it.

Give me some time in maybe June or July and I'll try to post up some of these ridiculous projects. The more ludicrous they are, the better I like 'em, but we already knew that

Likes For AdventureManCO: