View Single Post
Old 05-23-23, 11:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
You have a quality bicycle that is unlikely to have those issues. UL certifications will certainly help and good BMS' will definitely help. If you do have a thermal runaway and the BMS can stop it you are extremely less likely to have a fire. Plus if the battery is rated by UL or another similar company you can know that battery was tested and passed some decent tests. No it won't solve all the issues but having a product rated to certain safety standards does make a huge difference. I would rather that then just unregulated stuff as we are seeing with the fires.

If you have crappy wiring than that could cause a fire but it might not be the battery or might get the battery in the process but it might not be the battery causing the issue. I personally leave my bikes unattended all the time though I do take some precautions to make sure I won't have issues. My charger does warm up a bit and in one case is the same charger as you (but on a Como not a Vado) but I keep it away from significantly flammable items. Having a Bosch equipped bike and a Specialized Brose equipped bike have lead me to not worry because I know they have put a lot of time and money and R+D to making a safer battery and of all the batteries we have had issues with which is about 5 in 8 years none of them have been from the Big S or Bosch.

I am not saying one shouldn't be careful as you should I just trust those brands from years of experience with them and personally am confident I am very unlikely to have issues.

In terms of the ship fire, I don't recall there being an knowledge of how the fire got started and I don't know how many of those vehicles were EVs and I know there was a bunch of non-EVs and some older vehicles as well. However in a big fire yes those batteries could easily be a problem but maybe it wasn't the battery that started the fire there were gas powered vehicles on board.

I hope you aren't leaving your bike with that lock though. Forget the fires, that thing is nice and should get one better protection.