View Single Post
Old 05-23-23, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11037 Post(s)
Liked 7,588 Times in 4,230 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I can't agree, because somebody running you off the road because he sees you as part of a hated outgroup has zero to do with how you feel about it.
True, and your view makes sense. I totally see it as valid. Im just saying that what actually matters is the perception of the person who is impacted. If they view it as 'well that guy is a dick', then that is very different from 'that person dehumanized me!'...at least those are different in my mind.
Its simply a matter of when and how we see ourselves as victims. And this isnt shaming anyone who sees themself as a victim more than I see myself as a victim, it really is just a conversation about the reality that we all have varying levels of acceptance and patience.
Again though- you viewing that as dehumanizing is totally cool and if you said that to me on a ride, I wouldnt disagree or even think you are wrong. Its how you view a situation that has many factors.
Likes For mstateglfr: