View Single Post
Old 05-25-23, 12:09 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
[QUOTE=smd4;22899353]You seem upset, having to resort to ad hominem attacks. I'm sorry you feel that way. Your command of the English language is exemplary. I admit I had to look up "besserwissering." So I'm not going to let you use your status as ESL as a crutch.[/QUOTE]

Takes one to know one.

You should however consider going easy with me as I seem to have difficulty conveying the meanings of certain terms to some people.

Besserwissering is german btw.

So I think you are being highly disingenuous when you say I'm "constantly obsessed by telling everyone [my] tires aren't slow." I certainly don't come in on every topic regarding speed--because, as you've noted, I don't care about speed. In case you aren't clear on it, the topic of this discussion isn't speed--it's inflation pressure. Go ahead if you don't believe me: read the title and the first post.
You don't care about speed but you seem to care quite a bit that in your opinion wide tires are slow, disc brakes are slow, modern bine tech is slow etc. And when you're called out you sidestep to your "i like the ride" fallacy. It has become fairly predictable at this point.

Inflation pressure directly correlates with the speed you can maintain with a given energy, ie. speed. Also we're not supposed to be 100% constrained by the topic title. Discussing things would be difficult if we were.

​​​​​​​All of which begs the question: Why are you so obsessed with speed? Is that really all there is to cycling for you--just...being able to go from place to place as quickly as possible? Seems you might be missing out on the wider world of what riding a bike can be.

I'm really not into "speed," your conclusions to the contrary notwithstanding. I don't race; I don't ride in group rides where I'd need to keep up; I ride the local roads solo, or on the MUPs (known as "greenways" down here) with family. I go exactly the speeds I like to go. I don't feel exhausted at the end of rides, or feel like I got "beat up" by the road. Why for you is the end-all, be-all of cycling "going fast?"
Inflation pressure is free. If I can get a completely free performance boost that takes next to no effort, I'll take it even if I'm riding slowly. Makes cycling more fun when I'm not needlessly encumbered.

As to being obsessed with speed, well me using 40mm tires should have already told you I'm not all that obsessed. I don't even own a skinsuit. Or aero wheels. I might get an aero helmet though. One of the cool ones with a visor. But if I go hiking I don't just fill my pack with rocks because I can. Rolling resistance is the second biggest drag in cycling after aerodynamic drag and it's not insignificant. If I can make that resistance less with a few presses from a pressure gauge, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

My "obsession" with tire pressures (if you can call it that) comes from mountain biking where you see and feel the difference much more drastically, especially with a fatbike. The difference of 1psi can make or break riding a certain section.

Personally I enjoy the faster speeds, the wind in my hair, seeing my enemies driven before me, hearing the lamentation of their mechanics, that sort of thing. For me it is more fun to ride 30kph than 25kph for the same energy (the tires themselves don't allow that but I don't have the energy to calculate the difference).

Also too high pressures cause vibrations which are fatiguing and can cause injuries especially when you ride 1500+km per month.

​​​​​​​Oh, and enjoying the ride I get isn't a fallacy, as much as you may wish it to be. I know--you don't have any way to argue or refute that point, and I suppose it's frustrating. Again, I'm sorry.
Oh it's not believe me. I truly do not care if you shake your tooth fillings out (although it is a funny thought). But you invading every fun topic and spewing your retro grouch narrative how everything new is bad for everyone and only bikes ridden should be hand built cinellis does get a bit old.