View Single Post
Old 05-25-23, 05:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,496 Posts
It's really hard to motivate myself to ride to work. I need to figure out what's going on with me. Here are some factors.

I'm stiff. I've never had a habit of stretching, and it's coming back to bite me. Walking helps, and I'm glad I have a lot of walking and standing throughout my day. When I wake up in the morning, I'm so stiff that I can't even touch my knees. Remedy: develop a list of stretches that I can realistically do regularly.

It takes more time. Figure out how to squeeze in the extra 15 minuets it takes. Possible solution: shower the night before so my morning routine is quicker.

I don't have a decent place to lock my bike. No solution. I suspect my workplace neighborhood isn't very bad with bike theft, and I have only four weeks left on this job.

Headwinds! Not much of a solution available. Believe it or not, it's common to have a headwind in each direction because the wind shifts at midday. Fortunately, the commute home usually has milder wind. One partial solution is to use a more aero position but that bumps up against my stiffness problem.

Hills. The route is almost entirely flat but it has a very short and very steep climb going to work. I think I need to give up my pride and start walking that small portion. Coming back there is an ascent of about 120 vertical feet over 0.8 miles. That's not much, but there's something annoying about it that I can't put my finger on. A partial solution is to approach the hill with increased vigor. Walking up the short climb on the way to work might cost me some time, and that works against my other obstacle. I'll see how much it really costs me, as it may not be significant.

Well, thank you, folks, for letting me talk this out. Any reflections?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.