View Single Post
Old 05-26-23, 05:36 AM
darnet

Bikes: Raleighs (International, Super Tourer, Gran Sport, Super Course), Miyatas (610, Alumicross), Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosine,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 24 Posts
Found Tuesday (5/24/23), this Peugeot in the give-and-take area of the town transfer station. Bike itself had no markings for the model name. Plenty of rust, no chain. I took it home, and identified it as a 1983 UO-14. On inspection, fitted with wrong brake calipers, wrong rims. Original crank, derailleurs, and shifters, maybe other stuff. Intrigued, I wanted to test ride, so found a chain in my supply. Needed a pretty long chain. That's when I saw that both sprockets of the rear derailleur were in pieces. Thought that would be a quick fix, but no, furns out to be a problem. Seems that the Peugeot (aka Simplex) derailleur used a larger size sprocket bolt than normal, and thicker sleeves, and all of my Simplex derailleirs' sprockets are similarly broken. Took time to find some Suntour sprockets that had what seems to be the same bolt diameter. Switched them out, trued the rims, replaced tires, and was ready for a test ride. I liked it, steering was nice, a little harsh on bumps. Hills were good, this has a 38 tooth small chainwheel. I have to decide what to do now, to build the Super Tourer, or clean up and ride this.

Last edited by darnet; 05-26-23 at 08:21 AM. Reason: wrong picture uploaded
Likes For darnet: