View Single Post
Old 05-26-23, 09:07 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 871 Posts
Good job of sparing the noggin, cochlear device and that saddle! That was pretty high speed not to hit your head!!!

Fortunately no permanent sort of injuries it sounds like.

I've hit the deck with near annual frequency until just a few years ago, the majority of those were on slippery surfaces, often in or near parking lots, running water, painted lines and most recently, some textured rubber (traction???) pads (and with water on my tire?) at the entrance curb/ramp leading into McDonalds. I went down hands-first, my helmeted head heading for the sidewalk, but I managed to just reach the wood chips of a borderless median planter so my head/face/chin/glasses impacted that "padding" with minimal impact harshness. I cleaned up my scuffed face, went in, had my Senior Coffee as if nothing had happened and continued on my morning ride.

The last couple of years have seem me running a 4-6 miles regularly here and there, and this has been at least as dangerous as my concurrent cycling. Tripping on a sidewalk seam or man-hole cover edge has sent me to the sidewalk in Superman form twice now, and nearly done so at least another three times! It seems safer to run in the street!