USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by darnet
Found Tuesday (5/24/23), this Peugeot in the give-and-take area of the town transfer station. Bike itself had no markings for the model name. Plenty of rust, no chain. I took it home, and identified it as a 1983 UO-14. On inspection, fitted with wrong brake calipers, wrong rims. Original crank, derailleurs, and shifters, maybe other stuff. Intrigued, I wanted to test ride, so found a chain in my supply. Needed a pretty long chain. That's when I saw that both sprockets of the rear derailleur were in pieces. Thought that would be a quick fix, but no, furns out to be a problem. Seems that the Peugeot (aka Simplex) derailleur used a larger size sprocket bolt than normal, and thicker sleeves, and all of my Simplex derailleirs' sprockets are similarly broken. Took time to find some Suntour sprockets that had what seems to be the same bolt diameter. Switched them out, trued the rims, replaced tires, and was ready for a test ride. I liked it, steering was nice, a little harsh on bumps. Hills were good, this has a 38 tooth small chainwheel. I have to decide what to do now, to build the Super Tourer, or clean up and ride this.
About a dozen years back I arrived at a similar conclusion about Simplex plastic parts and jockey wheels in particular. The irony I see is that the Sun Tour derailleurs have a superior design, so cannibalizing them to keep a Simplex in service is less of a win/win proposition than one would like. This said, I find your efforts squarely in-line with the spirit of Mucho-Cheapo.