View Single Post
Old 05-29-23, 07:24 AM
MLyon18

Bikes: '72 International Bicycle Corp, '71 Schwinn Varsity, '81 Peugeot PFN10, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, '58 Raleigh Robin Hood Sport, '66 Schwinn Staret III, '81 Bianchi Super Sport mixte, '72 Moto Grand Touring, '86 Univega Maxima Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
. . . many similar calibre . . . of the same era . . .

Umm, NO, in the ‘80’s the Miyata 1000 was the pinnacle of touring bikes. I’ve a Miyaya 1000 (for comfortable 30- to 50-mile rides) and a Miyata 615 (for sporty trips to the market and back) in my garage, and I’ve restored, rebuilt, or upgraded about 20 steel, pre-index shifting, road bikes and coaster-brake middle weights. I am old school, yes, and I’ve yet to be on an aluminum or carbon fiber bike, or combination thereof, which rides as sweet as lightweight alloy steel.

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I think the Miyata is a good old touring bike with a lot of lore surrounding it and that lore jacks the pricetag on the used market. This is great news for those who don't care if they ever own a Miyata 1k as there are many similar calibre touring bikes of the same era to choose from. There is no way I'd take a Miyata 1k over a decent modern touring bike.
Likes For MLyon18: